Photo courtesy of UK Athletics
Kentucky head coach John Calipari will receive the National Association of Basketball Coaches’ Metropolitan Award at the Final Four this evening.
The Metropolitan Award, presented by Nike, has a long and storied history, which began in New York City. The Metropolitan Basketball Association presented its first Metropolitan Award in 1941 to legendary City College of New York coach Nat Holman and followed that a year later with Ned Irish, who first brought college basketball to Madison Square Garden.
The honor will added to a long list of other awards that Calipari has earned, including the following.
- Three-time NABC National Coach of the Year
- Three-time Naismith National Coach of the Year
- Three-time Sporting News National Coach of the Year
- Two-time Adolph Rupp National Coach of the Year
- Nine-time conference coach of the year (league or media in Atlantic 10, Conference USA or Southeastern Conference)
- 2015 Associated Press National Coach of the Year
- 2012 Nell & John Wooden Coach of the Year Leadership Award
- 2009 Sports Illustrated National Coach of the Year
The awards ceremony will begin at 7:30 ET. and you can watch at the link below.